Chanel and Dior are Inspired: 18th century style and Marie Antoinette Fashions


We are right in the midst of Haute Couture Fashion week in Paris! Chanel's collection debuted this morning and the Dior collection on Monday. Both collections drew influences from the 18th century, think Petit Trianon, decorative arts and gardens.


I love the above look by Chanel.  Details from Chanel's 2014 collection remind us of the French neo-classical arabesque designs in Marie Antoinette's Belvedere Pavillion, which she used as her music room at Petit Trianon. The space is stunning.

Salon du belvédère. Belvédère du Petit Trianon - Salon intérieur. Photo by Starus.

Belvédère du Petit Trianon - Arabesque de Leriche (détail). Photo by Starus.

Some of my favorite pieces from the Chanel and Dior shows are are below. After you scroll through, vote in my poll at the bottom of the post and tell us Which collection is your favorite??

Chanel

Chanel's collection had pieces featuring beautiful embroidery work, pastel colors and beaded details that mimic carved decoration on 18th century French and English furniture (yay decorative arts!) View the full Chanel collection.

 Chanel Haute Couture Fall Winter 2014-15 collection. Photos via vogue.it













Christian Dior

Dior takes a more literal approach; full skirts that remind us of panniers, structured bodices, brocade and floral embroidery. I also like the patches on some of the gowns! They remind me of the adorable Camp Versailles Sew on Badges from she&reverie that are featured on their Sleepover Hooded Cardigan in earl grey creme.



Christian Dior Fall 2014 Couture. Photos via vogue.com.














Which 18th century-inspired Haute Couture collection do you like best?


9 comments:

  1. Love both collections, but I really like the hair and styling at Chanel...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both collections are gorgeous, but as already stated, the styling for the Chanel line shows more attention to detail. The hair and the shoes (love them!) make the ensembles look more pulled together. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Dior collection, but the Chanel one just blew me away. The attention to detail is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had to go with Dior. Those silhouettes are to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:30 PM

    Oh Dior!! Dior! Dior!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Chanel´s appliques, but Dior´s shapes. I admire haute couture so much, it is usually so delicate, it is a true art for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I love the haute couture collections too! So fun and beautiful

      Delete
  7. Oh i love both collections, but chanel i love a little bit more, amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's Dior for me, too! Not so much thr structured pannier dresses; but the trousrrs and tops? And the floaty, gossamer dresses? Oh, and that gorgeous pink inserted pleats upon pleats dress?? And, and those shoes and boots....

    excuse me, whilst I go and change my drool sodden top....

    ReplyDelete